Monday, February 16, 2009

Just Painting Around!

G'day everyone, hope you all had a wonderful weekend. It is time for another challenge I have with my CCEE Stamper friends. This week is our CNFS challenge (Catchy Name Featured Stamper) ... we pick someone who has a catchy user name over on SCS and then we create our card around that stampers name and send off our cards to them.

This week it was Tosh's turn to select the person whose name we were going to use and she selected Michelle aka JustPaintingAround. Michelle has a very unique style that I have admired for some time ... you can see her blog here.

Tosh told us that Michelle has a spotlighting style that she loved, so for her card you have to use the spotlighting technique.

Now I guess this isn't the traditional spotlight technique that I used for my card ... but I really wanted to try the technique that Michelle does so well ... she makes it look so easy ... but it really does take a lot of thought and planning! I guess like anything the more you do it the easier it becomes. I kept my layout fairly easy ... but I have seen some quite complicated designs on Michelle's blog.

Michelle also has a tutorial on her blog about how see does her cards ... the amazing thing is that it is all done using a single layer of card ... she cuts out all her layers and then pieces it back together a little like a jigsaw and then brayers her background on her card. You can see her tutorial here.

I actually did mine a little differently ... I stamped my design and then masked it and then used my copic airbrush system to color my sky and grass. I then turned my card over and ruled up my layers on the back and cut out my different layers ... because I use copics to color it was easy to see where I had to cut the top main panel without cutting off something I needed.

I noticed when browsing at Michelle's blog looking at how she did this technique that she uses a lot of red to layer her panels .... probably not a color I would have first thought about using ... however I liked the effect and the red went with the sentiment I wanted to use so red it was.

Of course I had to use a image of someone painting ... I have a number of artist/painting related stamps so it was an ideal time to use one of them with a user name like "JustStampingAround".

Don't forget to check out our CCEE Stampers blog to see what the rest of the team created for this challenge. Remember you are also welcome to join in the challenge ... you can using any variation of the spotlighting technique you want to create your cards.

Recipe:
Stamps: Marquax is Painting - Stampavie; Sentiment - Starving Artistamps; Grass - Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers; Dragonflies - Artee
Paper: White; Real Red - SU
Other: Black Ink; Real Red SU Ink; Foam Tape; Copic Airbrush System; Copics



10 comments:

Cindy Haffner said...

I love how you did this Frances, way to go. I'm going to post mine Tuesday as it fits my Timeless Tuesday post.

Kristine said...

This is wonderful, Frances! :) I took a look at her blog and I too love her style! That's so unique how she creates layered scenes. You did a fabulous job!! Have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

Terrific card!! Love this layout and of course the adorable image:)

Tracey said...

Love this Frances! This tchnique really makes the card pop!!

Anonymous said...

How sweet!! This is so adorable!! Love the image!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS card, Frances! Of course, I love that image, and your sky and grass is total perfection!!!

Linda Carson said...

Marvelous! Simply marvelous!! I'd give it 2 thumbs up!

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

Frances - You have totally captured "me" here....the style of the card, the red, and the main image. I love it! Thanks so much for your kind words. They were very meaningful to me!

Shannon Erskine aka e3stamper said...

Fantastic card Frances!!! Great job w/Michele's style!!

Vicki G said...

Love what you did with the layout here!!!!!